Monday, February 19, 2007

"give me one glorious ambition for my life...to know and follow hard after You"

just wanted to let you know my interview went well today; it was encouraging to talk to the director about different things. i'll found out after spring break who made the group. it was really nice to talk to him though and hear about the team...i'd be really excited to make the team this year or even next year. i really hope that's where God's taking me. so thanks for praying and please keep praying that God will give wisdom in the decision making and that his will will be done.

i have a question. and i've been wondering about it for a couple weeks now i guess. but if you have wisdom and insight to share on it, i'd love to hear. i want to know why it's okay for me as a christian to buy two pairs of shoes when there are people starving and people who haven't heard about jesus and it is possible for me to live with just one pair. there's more to the question than that, but that's kinda the simplest way to put it i guess. i wonder. and it confuses me. any thoughts?

hope you're enjoying the beautiful weather! happy monday!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Ya know, that's a hard one. I've thought of that related to food, but not shoes and material things. With food, we could never justify eating when so many go on in hunger, even dying.

Shoes on the other hand, makes me ponder my real needs, or if it's my standard of living that's just high enough to tell me I "need" something that I really don't.

We're given money and told to be responsible with it. What if we gave up every penny to a charity and in turn relied on charities themselves to provide for us?

The poor we will always have with us on this earth. Our calling to help the poor we will always have as well. How do we know when to break that perfume box?

In my family, we buy clothing or shoes, we try give away a similar article of clothing or pair of shoes. I think it's a good start.
Keep thinking on these things. You've got my mind working now, too.

changedfish said...

well, i'm may not dive into the shoe question so much because "that's too convicting"
but i wanted to say i'm sorry i TOTALLY FORGOT about your interview being today- i feel like a jerk face, i mean my distractions are no excuse, you've been talking about this for a few days now and i should've at least remembered that it was today- pretty sure you told me today that it was today, i'm just THAT dense. so sorry about that, we'll have to discuss it.

family said...

Luke 12:48b comes to mind: "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more." (ESV)

Use God's resources (including time) prayerfully and wisely.